UA Cardiology Graduating Fellows Prepare for Next Phase of Careers
The University of Arizona Sarver Heart Center celebrated the graduation of seven fellows from the Cardiovascular Medicine Fellowship Program and two from the Interventional Cardiology Fellowship Program in June.
“I encourage all of you to be actively engaged in continuing to learn and pursue the cardiology career you want to achieve. Cardiology is intense, so be intense, but also be kind, warm and dedicated to embody the totality of being the best cardiologist you can be. You have great faculty role models to follow,” said Nancy K. Sweitzer, MD, PhD, director of the UA Sarver Heart Center and chief of cardiology at the UA College of Medicine – Tucson, as she congratulated the graduating cardiology fellows.
Cardiovascular Medicine Fellows Class of 2015 (from left) Alejandro Asencio, MD, Uday Kanakadandi, MD, Julia Indik, MD, PhD, professor of medicine and program director, Kusum Lata, MD, Tam Nguyen, MD, Laith Saleh, MD, and Branden Snyder, MD.
The graduating Cardiovascular Medicine Fellows are:
- Alejandro Asencio, MD, who will continue at UA Sarver Heart Center during the upcoming academic year to complete an interventional cardiology fellowship.
- Asad Ghafoor, MD, who will pursue an advanced heart failure and transplantation fellowship at the University of Michigan.
- Uday Kanakadandi, MD, who also will continue at the UA for an interventional cardiology fellowship.
- Kusum Lata, MD, who will pursue an interventional cardiology fellowship at Detroit Medical Center.
- Tam Nguyen, MD, who will join the non-invasive cardiology program at El Paso VA Health care System in Texas.
- Laith Saleh, MD, who will pursue an electrophysiology cardiology fellowship at Cornell University in New York.
- Branden Snyder, MD, who will complete his interventional cardiology fellowship at University of Massachusetts in Boston.
The cardiovascular medicine fellows also honored faculty members Mark Friedman, MD, and Prakash Suryanarayana, MD, for their excellence in teaching and mentorship.
Graduating Interventional Cardiology Fellows Class of 2015: Tam Truong, MD, (front left) and Li Shien Low, MD, (front right) with intervention cardiology faculty members (from left back) Kapil Lotun, MD, Mark J. Friedman, MD, Kwan S. Lee, MD, Karl B. Kern, MD, Marvin J. Slepian, MD, and Tom A. Lassar, MD.
The graduating Interventional Cardiology Fellows are:
- Li Shien Low, MD, who will work in private practice in Aurora, Ill.
- Tam Truong, MD, who will join the UA College of Medicine – Tucson as an assistant professor at Southern Arizona VA Health Care System.
Welcome to Incoming Fellows
The UA Sarver Heart Center welcomes the following fellows to the three-year Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship Program and the one-year Interventional Cardiology Fellowship Program:
- Imo Ebong, MBBS, completed a residency at Huron Hospital, Cleveland Clinic Health System, Cleveland, Ohio
- Arun Kannan, MBBS, completed residency at Canton Medical Education Foundation, Canton, Ohio
- Candice Kim, MD, completed residency at Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, Calif.
- J.R. “Keng” Pineda, MD, PhD, completed residency at Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio
- Preethi William, MBBS, completed residency and a fellowship in geriatrics at University of Arizona College of Medicine -Tucson
- Alejandro Asencio, MD, completed residency and a fellowship in Cardiovascular Disease at University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson
- Uday Kanakadandi, MBBS, completed residency at University of Illinois, College of Medicine, Urbana, and a fellowship in Cardiovascular Disease at University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson